Whilst installing a new patio or pergola in your back garden is a significant investment, staying on trend each year with fresh soft furnishings and styles is really simple and affordable. So many local suppliers, garden stores and outlets offer a range of cheap soft furnishings and small furniture items that enable you to update the vibe of your entertaining area regularly.
Concrete: Industrial and Minimalist
Concrete is so on trend this year—with so many DIY renovation shows highlighting this material’s increasing use across the home. Kitchen tops, flooring, bathrooms, internal walls and laundries are getting their concrete hit!
You can easily extend this trend to your outdoor entertaining space with some of the following tips, without having to invest heavily in replacing your current patio/pergola floor or structure.
- Textured concrete pot plant holders are super cheap and an easy way to update the look of your potted plants. These come in a range of sizes, styles and colours—some even have pops of colour if you want to tie into a main colour theme as well.
- Concrete-look ceramics, dinner sets and serving-wear add texture to your table top.
- Hand-made vases with rough clay textures with natural foliage is a great table centrepiece.
- Marble comes in a range of colour combinations and is a great companion to concrete. This smooth and shiny material adds luxury to the generally rough texture of a concrete style. Marble table placemats and coasters, serving platters or chopping boards, and side tables can really balance a concrete theme.
Live the Luxury of the Kings of Palm Springs
Palm tree prints, white and bold colour combinations (think pink, yellow or blue), rattan chairs and cactus—just some of the on-trend characteristics of the Palm Springs style. So many local outlets and department stores have jumped on this trend making it super easy, and affordable, to create your own sunny luxury under your patio in your Sydney backyard this year.
- Add a bright white table runner to your table, with printed placemats and a mini cactus garden in rattan pot plant holders.
- Purchase some bright palm tree fabric from your local store and some cushion inserts to create your own DIY feature cushions.
- Group larger potted cactus in groups of three under your patio, in a couple of locations.
- Invest in some gorgeous succulents in hanging baskets or white macrame pot plant holders.
- Add a pop of feature colour with a replica acapulco chair or banana lounge in the garden.
Don’t forget to be sustainable when you update your looks year to year, by either having a garage sale or donating no-longer-loved items to your local charity store for rehoming.